Friday, February 8, 2008

Kim and Karen both start with K

In another life I would have been named Kim and nicknamed “Pinkie”. I would have had a large family and a mother who partied. I would have a strong Boston accent. I’d never be alone. I would have come home to drugged out people passed out on the floor. Parents way too young to care for me, an over-burdened grandmother, and lots of friends. I wonder how my social anxiety would have manifested itself. Would I have drowned it with booze, drugs, and sex? How would my environment have shaped me?
Who would be my best friend? Would I still have my sense of humor? Could I have possibly turned out more bitter? I sense I would have gone down a dark path. I would have trod down the road most taken. I’d be surrounded by lots of people. Perhaps I would have had a happy life. Maybe I’d overcome my tumultuous past and my young mother’s life may have turned out so much better.
I claim my right to be self serving. It was a decision that rocked so many lives. It was a decision made in my best interest. As mean as it sounds, I’m glad they made the agonizing decision to give me away although it caused such sadness. I’m happy they took the burden of all Kim’s pain. I’m glad I’m me.

No comments: